Am I stupid or is 'assert' broken in Python 2.5??

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Dec 6 23:24:15 EST 2006

Neil Cerutti <horpner at yahoo.com> writes:

> On 2006-12-07, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> > The same reason you can sometimes find what's wrong just by
> > explaining the symptoms to another guy... Having to put things
> > sorted and simple to understand by another, just makes you think
> > clearly on the problem...
>
> I read a story (was it by Brian Kernighan?) the they required
> programmers to tell their problem to a stuffed animal first before
> bothering another programmer who might be in the middle of
> something. The stuffed animal often provided all the assistance that
> was needed.

This is now known as "rubber ducking", and it was indeed documented in
"The Pragmatic Programmer", a highly recommended tome.

    <URL:http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubberDucking>

--
 \       "Even if the voices in my head are not real, they have pretty |
  `\                                        good ideas."  -- Anonymous |