automatically grading small programming assignments

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Thu Dec 14 12:27:07 EST 2006

Hello,

I have a couple of classes where I teach introductory programming using Python.  What
I would love to have is for the students to go through a lot of very small programs,
to learn the basic programming structure.  Things like, return the maximum in a list,
making lists with certain patterns, very simple string parsing, etc.  Unfortunately,
it takes a lot of time to grade such things by hand, so I would like to automate it
as much as possible.

I envision a number of possible solutions.  In one solution, I provide a function
template with a docstring, and they have to fill it in to past a doctest.  Is there a
good (and safe) way to do that online?  Something like having a student post code,
and the doctest returns.  I'd love to allow them to submit until they get it, logging
each attempt.

Or perhaps there is a better way to do this sort of thing.  How do others who teach
Python handle this?

			thanks,

				Brian Blais

--