Slowdown in Jython

Kent Johnson kent at kentsjohnson.com
Fri Dec 29 08:13:02 EST 2006

tac-tics wrote:
> I have an application written in jython which has to process a number
> of records. It runs fine until it gets to about 666 records (and maybe
> that's a sign), and then, it's performance and responsiveness goes down
> the toilet. It looks like it's running out of memory and is being
> forced to use extended memory, but I do not know enough about the
> language to figure out where this is happening. It will eventually
> finish the task, but the window stops responding, and it ends up taking
> several hours (as opposed to several minutes as it should). I really
> just wish I had a tool for polling the amount of memory Jython was
> using at any given moment.
>
> Does anyone have any strategy or advice for me?

You can find out how much memory Jython is using the same as you would
for any other application, e.g. Windows Task Manager or the equivalent.

Jython is a Java application and you can increase the max heap available
the same as for other java apps, using the command line switch -Xmx,
e.g. -Xmx512m to set the max heap to 512 megabytes.

Kent