merits of Lisp vs Python

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Tue Dec 12 12:34:26 EST 2006

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

>> Sorry, I missed something here. Why do you need a release to have these
>> sorts of things? Can't you just expand the language via macros to
>> create whatever facility of this sort you need...
>
> Huh?  Are you saying Lisp systems never release new versions?

The Common Lisp standard hasn't been updated in over a decade.
Moreover, one doesn't need to wait for a standard to add syntax--one
just adds it and gets on with solving the problem at hand.

> And you can't implement Python generators as Lisp macros in any
> reasonable way.

I'm pretty certain it could be done with conditions.

We're going to Moe's.  If we're not back, avenge our deaths.
                                            --Homer Simpson