No latin9 in Python?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 6 13:50:22 EST 2006

Christoph Zwerschke schrieb:
> Is there anything speaking against adding these as aliases? If no, I
> would submit a patch. (Also, Python does not support the
> latin10=iso8859-16 charset. I could try to add that as well.)

Python tries to follow the IANA charset registry.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

If you submit a patch, it would be good if you checked all names and
determined which aliases are missing.

While you are at it, you'll notice that the current version of the
character-sets database lists

Name: ISO-8859-15
MIBenum: 111
Source: ISO
        Please see:
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/charset-reg/ISO-8859-15>
Alias: ISO_8859-15
Alias: Latin-9

so the "official" alias is "Latin-9", not "latin9". You may
want to ask the submitter of that entry why this inconsistency
was introduced.

Regards,
Martin