write an update manager in python/wxPython

Will McGugan will at willNOmcguganSPAM.com
Thu Dec 7 17:04:42 EST 2006

m.errami at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all
> I have a small application for which I would like to write an update
> manager. I assume that the basics of it is to compare versions of the
> user's current application and a new one store in a new file on a
> particular URL.
> Now is there any standard way to do that. I am sure I can figure out
> something. But instead of designing something new from scratch that may
> end up to be full of bugs, maybe some existing classes in python,
> wxPython or within the win32com package exist.
> Any thoughts?

Dont think there is a standard way of doing it. The way I have done it
in my applications is to keep an ini file containing the version number,
  which is downloaded and compared against the version of the app. That
part is trivial to implement in python with urllib. I just point the
user at the download url when there is a new version. It would require a
little more effort if you want to have some kind of automatic update...

Will McGugan
--
blog: http://www.willmcgugan.com