What am I supposed to do with an egg?!

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Wed Dec 20 08:35:26 EST 2006

"F. GEIGER" <fgeiger at datec.at> wrote:

> Sorry for not being clear. I did exec easy_install - no errors so far.
> But the egg was still there. I'd expected, that it was converted into
> .py-files somehow, which could be imported by my modules.

The .egg file should have been copied into your site-packages. Python can
import directly from a .egg file (it is a zip archive containing .py
files), or you can give easy_install an --always-unzip argument in which
case it creates a folder with the same name (including the .egg extension)
in site-packages and unzips the egg there.

Forcing an unzip can be useful if you want to use tools like pydoc which
don't understand imports from zip files.

If you run python interactively and "print sys.path" then you should see
any egg files you have installed have been added to the path.