merits of Lisp vs Python

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Dec 15 06:18:19 EST 2006

Ken Tilton wrote:

> The reason I post macro expansions along with examples of the macro
> being applied is so that one can see what code would have to be written
> if I did not have the defskill macro to "write" them for me.

It seems to me your brain is somewhat stuck on the use
of macros. You're looking at the expansion of your
macro and assuming that you'd have to write all that
code by hand if you didn't have macros. You're not
thinking about alternative approaches, which could
just as well be used in Lisp as well as Python, that
are just as compact yet don't make use of macros.

Unless there's something very subtle that I'm missing
(I can't claim to follow exactly what all the code
you posted does in detail) I haven't seen anything
that couldn't be done quite reasonably with an
appropriate data structure and ordinary functions
and methods operating on that data structure.

--
Greg