merits of Lisp vs Python

André Thieme address.good.until.2006.dec.22 at justmail.de
Fri Dec 15 15:12:30 EST 2006

greg schrieb:
> josephoswaldgg at hotmail.com wrote:

>> Adding parentheses ... all this is a
>> burden specific to Python.
>
> As opposed to Lisp, where all you have to do is
> use parentheses... oh, er...

Lisp has no parens. An editor could support a mode where code
is displayed in written in trees. There wouldn't be a single
paren.

>> By the way, you guys seem fixate on the parentheses of Lisp without
>> having the experience
>
> I don't know about the other Pythonistas in this
> discussion, but personally I do have experience with
> Lisp, and I understand what you're saying. I have
> nothing against Lisp parentheses, I just don't agree
> that the Lisp way is superior to the Python way in
> all respects, based on my experience with both.

Lisp is not superior in all respects. As soon you decide to use a
language you decide against other features.
Python is especially strong as a scripting language as that is the
domain of it.

André