Mod_python vs. application server like CherryPy?

Damjan gdamjan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 20:08:47 EST 2006

> For example, consider an extreme case such as WSGI. Through a goal of
> WSGI being portability it effectively ignores practically everything
> that Apache has to offer. Thus although Apache offers support for
> authentication and authorisation, a WSGI user would have to implement
> this functionality themselves or use a third party WSGI component that
> does it for them.

OTOH
WSGI auth middleware already supports more auth methods than apache2 itself.

> Another example is Apache's support for enabling
> compression of content returned to a client. The WSGI approach is again
> to duplicate that functionality.

the gzip middleware is really just an example... nobody would use that in
production.

> Similarly with other Apache features
> such as URL rewriting, proxying, caching etc etc.

Well, not everybody can use Apache ... and again there's already WSGI
middleware that's more flexible than the Apache modules for most of the
features you mention.

It's not that I think mod_python doesn't have uses.. I just think it's not
practical to make python web applications targeted solely to mod_python.

--
damjan