Building python C++ extension modules using MS VC++ 2005?

Bo Peng bpeng at rice.edu
Thu Dec 21 16:43:09 EST 2006

Dear list,

I have been using mingw to build a python extension module. I had to
jump through a number of hooks like the _ctype problem caused by the use
of msvcr71.dll, but the module was mostly usable.

Things become complicated when I use more and more boost libraries and
mingw can not work well with some of the modules. I am trying to switch
to VC but I was suggested that I need to use the identical version of VC
that is used to build python, which means VC7.1, 2003. However,
microsoft seems to stop distributing this version of VC, and its website
points me to VC expression 2005...

(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/visualc/aa336490.aspx)

Can I use the 2005 version to build python extension? What is the
official or recommended way to build python extension module under windows?

Many thank in advance.
Bo