Stani's Python Editor - questions

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Wed Dec 20 09:45:01 EST 2006

  Hello,

I was trying to get answers for these. SPE homepage was down. Then I
found it on berlios
(http://developer.berlios.de/forum/forum.php?forum_id=12695) but no one
answered since 5 days. In fact nobody seems to write in anything to that
forum, I presume it is dead. I have no other choice than ask it here. I
apologize in advance, they may be silly questions.

1. How can I navigate between opened files? Usually I open 10 or more
files at the same time. There is no way to quickly scroll the tabs and
select the one that I want. Tabs simply run out of my screen.
2. I tried to use the "Browser" for navigation but it tells me "file is
already open" and it won't switch to the file. Annoying.
3. I also tried to go to the file using Ctrl+Enter (when the name of the
file is written under the cursor). The same problem: it tells "file is
already open", and it will not switch to the (already opened) file.
4. While running a program from inside SPE, the output window display
everything in HTML, including the stdout of the program. I have a
program that produces a very nice output when I run it from a terminal.
But it is unbelievable what it looks like when I run it from SPE. :-)
Especially if you print messages like <class __main__.A> they will
silently disappear from the output screen because they look like an
invalid HTML tag. Frustrating.
5. There should be a an option to clear the output panel before running
the program anyway. I see no way to clear it at all.
6. When I create a new file and select File/Save as, the dialog window
comes up. It is so small that I cannot see the names of the shortest
files and it is not resizeable.
7. Whenever I open a file or start a program inside SPE, I get a "Failed
to display HTML document in ISO-8859-1 encoding" error message.
8. The "Explore" panel on the left comes up for every file that I open.
I do not want it to come up by default, because I have screen resolution
problems.

I did not find any options/preferences to change the above things. Some
of the above might be new feature requests. I recently switched from
DrPython to SPE. SPE has more functions and it could be much much better
than DrPython, but it has big problems. For example, I like that SPE
saves the workspace automatically for me. But it takes two minutes to
start up SPE, because I have to press the "OK" button on the ISO8859-1
message for each file that is re-opened. I very like the Browser window,
but I cannot use it for navigation. I like the new style save file
dialog, but I cannot use it because it is small. I like the code
completion. (dot) :-)

Thanks,

   Laszlo