loose methods: Smalltalk asPython

Jan Theodore Galkowski jtgalkowski at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 27 22:22:23 EST 2006

[snipness]

>I don't think the response was meant to say that it must be bad but
>that it won't show up as feature in Python as long as the BDFL thinks
>it's bad.

[snipness]

oh, i was not proposing any change to the language.  it's fine as it is.
i would be reluctant to change it.  i want it changed only as absolutely
necessary.

my point and idea is that within any good language, like Python -- and
especially if it is a dynamic language -- there are many styles of
development possible, some based upon other-than-conventional
interpretations of the language's Dark Corners.  what i was really
seeking was to tap the experience of people who, being familiar with
loose methods, had tried to realize them in Python in some way.
particularly in connection with reflection, i think they are slick.

anyway, Python is the coolest damn language i've seen since Smalltalk.
and i was a big time LISP hacker once.  Python obviously includes a lot
of things which Smalltalk did not and does not have, simply because it's
culture is more modern and Python's community is so much more vibrant.
and it don't hurt that it has good numerical support.

  -- Jan
--
Jan Theodore Galkowski   (o°)
 jtgalkowski at alum.mit.edu