Need Simple Way To Determine If File Is Executable

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Dec 18 06:47:57 EST 2006

On 17 dic, 19:21, "Roger Upole" <rup... at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >>This will tell you that "x.exe" is executable, even if "x.exe" contains
> >> nothing but zeros.
>
> > Isn't the same with any other recipe, portable or not? Unless the OS
> > actually tries to load and examine the file contents, which the OS's
> > I'm aware of, don't do.
>
> On windows, you can use win32file.GetBinaryType to check if a file is actually
> a binary executable.

A similar function exists on Linux too. But even if a file has the
right file format, if it does not have the execute bit set, won't run.
And you could set that bit on a JPG image too - and nothing good would
happen, I presume. So one must determine first what means "the file is
executable".

--
Gabriel Genellina