CLPython (was Re: merits of Lisp vs Python)

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Dec 15 06:18:52 EST 2006

Willem Broekema wrote:

> I guess in part it's because there are not that many people really into
> both Python and Lisp, and those who are might not find this an
> interesting project because there is nothing "wow" to show, yet.

Another reason (or maybe the reason for the reason) is
that people are usually interested in Python because it's
a relatively simple and lightweight thing.

Having to install a complex and heavyweight thing like
a Common Lisp system just to be able to program in
Python doesn't seem like a good deal.

It might become a good deal if you could then compile
the Lisp and get a lean, efficient binary executable
out of it. But that's going to require much more than
just a straightforward translation from Python to Lisp.

If CLPython starts to show signs of making progress
in that direction, then it could start to get
interesting. Although I think I'd rather target Scheme
than CL if I were doing it -- cleaner language, small
yet still extremely good implementations available.

--
Greg