merits of Lisp vs Python

André Thieme address.good.until.2006.dec.22 at justmail.de
Mon Dec 11 14:23:54 EST 2006

Christophe schrieb:
> André Thieme a écrit :
>> You don't even need to say   'function
>> (memoize function)   would be enough.
>> And yes, you can memoize functions while the program is running.
>> And you don't need a tool like slime for it. Lisp already offers ways
>> for doing that.
>
> In Python while the program is running :
>
> import module
> module.function = memoize(module.function)

Yes, I mentioned that a bit earlier in this thread (not about the
"during runtime" thing).
I also said that many macros only save some small bits of code.
Your python example contains 4 tokens / brain units.
The Lisp version only has 2.

In the first moment one might want to say:
"Hey, just 10-15 more characters to type in Python". But this sums
up. If someone *really* thinks this extra typing is not bad, why doesn't
this person add some functions like:
def foobar():
   pass

and call them from time to time? If a bit of extra typing is not bad one
could call this function each time before one uses the built in * operator.
Why not?

André