comparing two IP addresses and the underlying machine

Ratko Jagodic rjagodic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 16:55:01 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure this one out for some time but with no success.
I have a machine with two network interfaces, each with their own IP address
and it's own domain, for example:
- ipA on machineA.domainA
- ipB on machineB.domainB

Given any pair of IPs or hostnames (or a mix of them), how can I figure
whether they belong to the same physical machine or not? Of course, this is
trivial if my python program is running the given machine but what if a
remote machine is trying to figure this out (but that machine has access to
both domains/IPs).
Appreciate and ideas.

Ratko