Survey environment for Python?

exhuma.twn exhuma at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 03:10:24 EST 2006

Hi,

Just recently I had to take over support for legacy software written in
Blaise (www.cbs.nl). As I did not know of this "Programming Language"
until one year ago I started to learn it. Well.... more like "read it"
as it's very very easy/simple.

However, I don't feel comfortable in that language. As far not as comfy
as in python ;) So I wanted to see if anyone knows of any surveying
system written in or usable with python.

For those that do not know Blaise:
First of all, it's a simplified syntax of Pascal so the syntax is quite
readable. And here is what you do with it: You define variables, then
define "routes". Those routes are simply definitions in which order
those variables should be processed, and if some variables should be
skipped. In addition to that it can perform a series of data-validation
tests and some simple computations.

It then uses these fields and routes to automatically generate a
user-interface to fill in those fields.

And that's about it.

I am aware that something like this should be doable in python. Also, I
think that a solid User Interface is very important for this task. Qt
would be nice, but I still have trouble getting it to run properly with
python. But that's a different story. And to avoid installing
third-party libraries (on windows),  Tk or a HTML-Interface seem to be
the only choices.

Is there anything like that around? If no, would anyone be interested
in giving me a hand for this sort of project? Somebody that understands
Tk would be useful, as I am mostly fluent in HTML&co.