regexp

Mark Schoonover schoon at amgt.com
Tue Dec 19 21:45:25 EST 2006

Jonathan Curran wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 15:32, Paul Arthur wrote:
>> On 2006-12-19, vertigo <spam at spam.pl> wrote:
>>> Hello

>>> i read whole regexp chapter -
>>
>> Did you read Chapter 8?  Regexes are 7; 8 is about processing HTML.
>> Regexes are not well suited to this type of processing.
>>
>>> but there was no solution for my problem.
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> re.sub("<!--.*-->","",htmldata)
>>> would remove only comments which are in one line.
>>> If comment is in many lines like this:
>>> <!--start
>>> of
>>> commend, end-->
>>>
>>> it would not work. It's because '.' sign does not matches '\n' sign.
>>>
>>> Does anybody knows solution for this particular problem ?
>>
>> Yes.  Use DOTALL mode.
>
> Paul, I mentioned Chapter 8 so that the HTML processing section would
> be taken a look at. What Vertigo wants can be done with relative ease
> with SGMLlib.
>
> Anyway, if you (Vertigo) want to use regular expressions to do this,
> you can try and use some regular expression testing programs. I'm not
> quite sure of the name but there is one that comes with KDE.
>
> - Jonathan Curran

You have to pay for this one, but I do like Komodo just for the regex
feature. I'm rather new to Python, coming over from 10 years of Perl, and
it's nice to have Komodo stay consistant. Can't wait for 4.0, so I can get
back to having VI key commands.... Back into "Learning Python", and DIP...

Thanks!

Mark Schoonover
IS Manager
American Geotechnical
V: 858-450-4040 - F: 714-685-3909 - C: 858-472-3816

"Stop the Earth!! I want off!!"