Restrictive APIs for Python

Will Ware will.ware at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 11:46:14 EST 2006

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> In Python, the usual way of saying "don't play with me" is prepending
> an underscore: _private

Thanks, I am familiar with that.

> BTW, have you *ever* tested your code?

Yes, we have a QA process. The problem is not that the code doesn't
work, it does. It was developed by a mix of more and less experienced
programmers, and early in the code's history, some hadn't been trained
on the benefits of complying to an API, or Pythonic idioms like the
leading underscore. So the code varies in its clarity, and some
maintenance chores aren't as pleasant as they might be.

I have found that the work of more experienced programmers often
includes improving the quality of code written by less experienced
programmers. Is this inconsistent with your own experience?