Roundtrip SQL data especially datetime

dyork reverseyorkage at david.com
Sun Dec 17 08:46:55 EST 2006

"Dennis Lee Bieber" <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1686.1166257834.32031.python-list at python.org...

> If you actually look at what the various DB-API adapters produce
> when sending to the database engine, floats, bools, etc. are all sent as
> string representations; about the only source for problems would be
> involved in the number of significant digits transferred for a float
> (you might feed 15 digits in, and only get 7 or 10 back)

Having written adapters myself, I would not be confident that is true. It's
convenient to use native formats for floats and ints, and strings for
everything else. Regardless, you get trouble with (a) nulls (b) dates/times
(c) decimal/currency (d) precision mismatches (e)  collation mismatches (f)
blobs (g) Unicode (h) special values like NaN. It takes great attention to
detail to be sure it all works, and I really don't want to write it (again).

I'd just like to choose some product X and "It Just Works"!

DY