merits of Lisp vs Python

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:02:38 EST 2006

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

> Consider this: Lisp has had years of development, it has had millions of
> dollars thrown at it by VC firms -- and yet Python is winning over Lisp
> programmers.  Think about it.

The argument from popularity is invalid.  French units have overtaken
standard units, yet they are technically worse.  Windows has overtaken
Unix, yet it is technically worse.

The market does not select the technically best (although it may select
what is best when all factors are taken into account; e.g. Windows may
be better when dealing with an ignorant workforce, and French units may
be better when dealing with users thereof).

Traditionally, there are only three classes of people who use 'we' in
describing themselves: Royalty (which you aren't), editors (no evidence
that this applies) and people with tapeworms.  Please let us know when
you've been cured.                     --Hal Heydt, to Dennis O'Connor