getting a process's PID

Erik Johnson ejatwellkeeperdotcom
Wed Dec 27 12:22:17 EST 2006

"eldorado" <eldorado at io.com> wrote in message
news:20061227102939.L20663 at eris.io.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get python to give me the PID of a process (in this case
> HUB).  I have it working, except for the fact that the output includes
> \012 (newline).  Is there a way to ask python not to give me a newline?
>
> Python 1.4 (Oct 14 1997) [C]
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> ['87334\012']

There's more than one way to do it! (Oh, sorry, that's Perl...)

The two most standard ways would be to call strip() on your string to get
one sans both leading and trialing whitespace

    print h.strip()

or if you know exactly what you've got (i.e., the newline you don't want is
just the last character), you can just get rid of it:

    h = h[:-1]

HTH,
-ej