Good Looking UI for a stand alone application

Luc Heinrich luc at honk-honk.com
Tue Dec 19 02:36:06 EST 2006

Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> wrote:

> It looks/feels like a native app on OS X.

I'm sorry, but the screenshots I'm seeing on the Dabo website all look
like ugly Windows ports (when they don't look like straight X11 crap). I
can't comment on the feel of course, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm
downloading the screencasts as we "speak", but I'm not holding my breath
either.

[UPDATE] I have watched three of the Dabo screencasts and the presented
application are *very* far from looking/feeling like native OS X
applications. Sorry.

> Why not use the best crossplatform native toolkit (wxPython) and then if
> you need native features that aren't provided, use ctypes or something
> to get access to the native GUI? Nothing in wxPython or Dabo prevents
> you from doing that.

Eh, funny, I have used wx thingy for quite some time (when it was
actually still called wxWindows and then when they switched to
wxWidgets) and it's probably the worst of all crossplatform toolkits I
have ever used. So I'm not sure you'll be able to convince me here :D

Ok, now here's a question for you: if crossplatform toolkits/frameworks
are sooooo great and automagically allow to produce superlickable and
native-looking/feeling applications on all three major platforms, why is
there so few of those applications on OS X ?

"Because Mac users are elitists assholes" is not the good answer by the
way :)

--
Luc Heinrich