merits of Lisp vs Python

André Thieme address.good.until.2006.dec.22 at justmail.de
Sat Dec 9 19:28:36 EST 2006

Ken Tilton schrieb:

> The last time we went thru this a Pythonista finally said, Oh, I get it.
> These five lines of code I have to write all the time (two setup, one
> func call, two cleanup) can be collapsed into one or two. The thread
> will be hard to miss in Google groups (two years back?) and the epiphany
> appears right at the end of the thread. <hint>

Functional programming is the solution here, not Lisp.

You could make that with a new function (in Python), that takes a
function (and its args, don't remember the correct syntax).

def foo(function, args):
   setup(1)
   setup(2)
   function(args)
   cleanup(1)
   cleanup(2)

The nice thing in Lisp would now be to save a lambda with the macro.
In Python one would fill the name space with throw away functions that
get called only one time.

André