Why does Python never add itself to the Windows path?

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 20:16:45 EST 2006

I've installed several different versions of Python across several
different versions of MS Windows, and not a single time was the Python
directory or the Scripts subdirectory added to the PATH environment
variable. Every time, I've had to go through and add this by hand, to
have something resembling a usable Python installation. No such
problems on Linux, whether it be Mandrake/Mandriva, Fedora Core, or
Kubuntu. So why is the Windows install half-crippled by default? I just
rediscovered this today when trying to run one of the Turbogears
scripts, but this has puzzled me for years now.

--
Ben Sizer