Question concerning this list

Sat Dec 30 21:30:58 EST 2006

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:03:34 +0100, Thomas Ploch wrote:

> Hello fellow pythonists,
>
> I have a question concerning posting code on this list.
>
> I want to post source code of a module, which is a homework for
> university (yes yes, I know, please read on...).

So long as you understand your university's policy on collaborations.

> It is a web crawler (which I will *never* let out into the wide world)

If you post it on Usenet, you will have let it out into the wide world.
People will see it. Some of those people will download it. Some of them
will run it. And some of them will run it, uncontrolled, on the WWW.

Out of curiosity, if your web crawler isn't going to be used on the web,
what were you intending to use it on?

> which uses regular expressions (and yes, I know, thats not good, too).

Regexes are just a tool. Sometimes they are the right tool for the job.
Sometimes they aren't.

> I have finished it (as far as I can), but since I need a good mark to
> actually finish the course, I am wondering if I can post the code, and I
> am wondering if anyone of you can review it and give me possible hints
> on how to improve things.

That would be collaborating. What's your university's policy on
collaborating? Are you allowed to do so, if you give credit? Is it
forbidden?

It probably isn't a good idea to post a great big chunk of code and expect
people to read it all. If you have more specific questions than "how can
I make this better?", that would be good. Unless the code is fairly
short, it might be better to just post a few extracted functions and see
what people say about them, and then you can extend that to the rest of
your code.

--
Steven.