Pimping the 'cgi' module

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Mon Dec 4 09:08:08 EST 2006

robert <no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.invalid> writes:

> Harry George wrote:
> > When I came from Perl, I too missed perl-isms and specifically CGI.pm, so wrote my own:
> > http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/index.html
> > http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/pyperlish/doc/manual.html
> > http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/cgipm/doc/index.html
> > Others on this newsgroup said I'd be better off just doing it in raw
> > python.  After a while, I realized that was true.  You do
> > triple-quoted templates with normal python idioms.  Throw in
> > some persistence mechanisms to deal with maintaining state across
> > transactions, and you are in business.
> > Since then I've looked at Zope, Plone, TurboGears, Django, and (for
> > standalone apps) Dabo.  TurboGears is mostly a set of recommendations
> > on what 3rd party packages to use, with a wee bit of glueware.  So far
> > nothing feels as simple as just doing it in python.
>

> Thats the fragmented journey, almost any web programmer has to go when coming to python. A clear standard, even a clear intro, for simple tasks,  like doing state mng, db, error handling, etc. is not there on an easy path.
>
> For a level above cgi, what do you think about cherrypy ?  http://docs.cherrypy.org/
>
> Robert

I have only done "hello, world" stuff in cherrypy.  We do everything
from apache, so the server part of cherrypy wouldn't be needed, and
getting to it from a mod_rewrite would just be extra hassle.

Mostly we do model-view-controller, were the "view" may be batch,
commandline, desktop gui, GUI, SOAP, etc. If it works with a simple
coded-by-hand CGI, that's all we do.

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture