merits of Lisp vs Python

Jan Dries jan.dries at dcube-resource.be
Mon Dec 11 21:09:55 EST 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> In musical terms, Python is like a Beatles song, very popular
> and easy to sway and dance to.  Lisp is like a Bach fugue.

While I agree with your point in principle, I think that comparing
Python to a Beatles song doesn't give the language the credit it IMO
deserves. To avoid another thread like this one I will not state what
language I would compare to a Beatles song, but if Lisp is a Bach fugue
then Python I think is more like Mozart. Sure, Bach is the ultimate
Master, no doubt. But Mozart wrote some damn fine music, often heavily
borrowing ideas not only from Bach but also other masters (Handel for
instance), but turning the whole into "something popular and easy to
sway and dance to".

Come to think of it, there definitely is something pythonic to Mozart ...

Regards,
Jan