merits of Lisp vs Python

Richard Brodie R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 8 10:29:15 EST 2006

"Alex Mizrahi" <udodenko at users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
news:45797a0c$0$49204$14726298 at news.sunsite.dk...

> heh, do you have "standard numeric packages" for everything? maybe then we'll make
> standard programs for everything -- that will obsolete "slow" "custom scripts" and we'll
> just use shell to select what program we want to run?

No, I was observing that, faced with a matrix multiplication problem, most
sensible Python developers would do "apt-get install python-numeric" or
equivalent. Trying to do it in pure Python would be the wrong tool for the
job. If you think that's a weakness of Python compared to Lisp, then so
be it.