MySQLdb windows binaries for Python 2.5?? Yes, but from a World of Warcraft guild.

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu Dec 14 22:56:13 EST 2006

Fuzzyman wrote:
> johnf wrote:
>
>>John Nagle wrote:

>>>    Yes, see
>>>
>>>http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1571110&forum_id=70461
>>>
>>>for an untested version created by a World of Warcraft guild:
>>>

>>http://www.guildmanus.com/uploaded/MySQL-python.exe-1.2.2b2.win32-py2.5.exe
>>
>>>This, apparently, is the extent of current Python support for MySQL.
>>>Want to install that executable, as root, on your production machines?
>>>
>>>This is embarassing for the Python community.  Perl and PHP come
>>>with MySQL support built in.  Python is out to lunch on this.
>>>
>>>John Nagle
>>>Animats
>>
>>I couldn't disagree more.  That fact that no Database drivers are built-in
>>makes Python stronger - allowing Python to access any Data Engine that
>>supports DBI 2.0.  Of course I'm not including pickle in my assessment.
>>

> And providing 'built-in' drivers for massively popular databases would
> prevent that from being true how ?
>
> Fuzzyman

    What's happened is that Python fell through the cracks here.  MySQL
themselves support Java, Microsoft ".NET", PHP, and a C interface.
The Perl interface to MySQL is part of the supported Perl distribution.
But for for Python, everybody is running on glue code from one
guy on Sourceforge, and he's having problems keeping up.

    Oops.

				John Nagle