Tkinter on Silicon Graphics machine?

petercable at gmail.com petercable at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 22:51:29 EST 2006

David Lees wrote:
> Does anyone have advice on installing Tkinter on s Silicon Graphics
> machine (under IRIX 6, I think). The SysAdmin at work build Python 2.4.3
> for me on the SGI box, but it does not have Tkinter.  Are there any
> prebuilt distributions for SGI machines that include Tkinter?
>
> TIA
>
> david lees

I don't have the disks in front of me now, but I think the freeware
disks included with Irix have Python on them. Otherwise, you could
download it from
http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/python-2.1.1-sgipl1.html

If you want 2.4, the sysadmin could rebuild Python after installing the
Tcl/Tk libraries (which you will need to use Tkinter anyway.) As long
as libtcl and libtk are in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, Tkinter will be
built automatically when Python is built.

Pete