Why not just show the out-of-range index?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Dec 4 02:45:49 EST 2006

Russ wrote:

>> No one is castigating the OP for bringing up the issue. His suggestion that his
>> time is worth more than that of anyone else, though, is drawing some ire.
>
> I'm afraid that any such "suggestion" is purely in your own
> imagination.

   "Now, that would be rather silly. I would have to familiarize myself
   with the code for the Python interpreter, then send a patch to the
   maintainers (and hope they notice it in their inboxes), while the
   maintainers themselves could probably "fix" the problem in two minutes
   flat. No thanks!"

and a couple of other posts with a similar tone.  open source developers
tend to ignore people who use the "you're just a bunch of code monkeys"
intimidation approach, especially when combined with an undertone of
"what I'm proposing should be easy, and if it isn't, that's because
you're incompetent".  claiming to talk for everyone else doesn't really
help, either.

I suggest doing what you should have done from the start; go to the
feature request tracker:

and click "suggest new".

</F>