Mod_python vs. application server like CherryPy?

Vincent Delporte justask at acme.com
Wed Dec 6 17:16:09 EST 2006

On 5 Dec 2006 17:05:06 -0800, "fumanchu" <fumanchu at amor.org> wrote:
>In a nutshell, mod_python gives you
>access from Python to the Apache API, whereas CherryPy and friends give
>you their own API.

I didn't know Apache had an API of its own, or that it was even needed
when writing a web application in Python. What does it provide in
addition to Python/mod_python?

> CherryPy allows me to focus
>on the application layer and leave the server/deployment layer for
>another day.

So you recommend using Apache as the front-end, and run an application
server like CherryPy in the background?

> But IMO CherryPy has a cleaner API
>for process control (engines and servers), application composition (via
>the object tree and via WSGI), and plugins (like gzip, static content,
>and header management).

Interesting. I'll see if I can find more information on writing an app
with Python in pure CGI, in FastCGI, in mod_python, and as an
application server with eg. CherryPy.

Thanks.