terminology question - "foreign function library"

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Dec 24 13:04:32 EST 2006

<mirandacascade at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1166980601.668105.256770 at a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
|I am prompted to make these inquiries after seeing the following link
| to ctypes:
|
| http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ctypes.html
|
| in which ctypes is described as a foreign function library.
|
| What is the definition of "foreign function library"?

A library for connecting to and making use of foreign functions,
which are functions written in a foreign (to Python) language
and usually not particularly designed with Python in mind.

| Is the concept different from a "package"?
| Is the concept different from a "module"?

Ctypes is one particular module with the particular purpose given.
A module in general can be for any purpose.

Terry Jan Reedy