merits of Lisp vs Python

Rob Thorpe rthorpe at realworldtech.com
Fri Dec 8 10:54:43 EST 2006

Mathias Panzenboeck wrote:
> Mark Tarver wrote:
> > How do you compare Python to Lisp?  What specific advantages do you
> > think that one has over the other?
> >
> > Note I'm not a Python person and I have no axes to grind here.  This is
> > just a question for my general education.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> I do not know much about Lisp. What I know is:
> Python is a imperative, object oriented dynamic language with duck typing,

Yes, but Python also supports the functional style to some extent.

> List is a declarative,
> functional dynamic language

Lisp is only a functional language in that it support both functional
and imperative programming styles.  Duck typing is almost identical to
latent typing in Lisp.
And, Common Lisp at least is object orientated.

> -> those two languages have different scopes.

Their scope is actually very similar.  Learn about lisp and you will
soon discover their similarity.