About alternatives to Matlab

Paul Rubin http
Mon Dec 11 08:39:58 EST 2006

Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com> writes:
> That's not what I meant. I was referring to translating the Python
> _interpreter_ into another language, not translating Python programs into
> other languages. MLton-compiled SML is especially fast at symbolic
> manipulation, e.g. interpreters, so it will be probably be as fast or
> faster than the current Python interpreter. Then you can start boiling the
> interpreter down, removing the GC for a start because MLton already has a
> much better GC...

Well, work is already under way (already mentioned) to implement
Python in Python, including a reasonable compiler (Psyco).

The big deficiency of MLton from a concurrency perspective is
inability to use multiprocessors.  Of course CPython has the same
deficiency.  Same with OCaml.  Is the ML community trying to do
anything about this?