regular expression

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Sun Dec 24 10:36:31 EST 2006

Dustan wrote:
> Kleine Aap wrote:
>> Asper Faner wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
>>> works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
>>> computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
>>> enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?
>> I.M.H.O. anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of regular
>> expressions should not attempt to write computer programs at all! My
>> suggestion to you would be to find a job that involves working with your
>> hands...
>
> Your humble opinion doesn't get much ruder...
>
> Perhaps you meant "anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of
> regular expressions after some experience with programming should not
> attempt to write computer programs at all!" Then at least newbies would
> have a leg to stand on.
>
> Otherwise, you're practically cutting off all entrances into the world
> of programming! The concept of regular expressions isn't exactly the
> simplest one out there. Just because you understood it immediately
> (which I'm guessing you did, considering your harsh response), doesn't
> mean others find the concept that simple.

I agree, and in addition:

(large) regular expressions are easy to write,
but can be almost impossible to read back !

I once had a program to generate and evaluate regular expressions,
but can't find it anymore :-(

If someone has links to regex generators/evaluators,
I'ld be much obliged.

cheers.
Stef Mientki