merits of Lisp vs Python

Paul Rubin http
Sat Dec 9 18:25:23 EST 2006

"mystilleef" <mystilleef at gmail.com> writes:
> People only contribute to things they understand and appreciate. More
> people would be writing Lisp libraries if it was worthwhile.
> Apparently, it doesn't seem to be. A few years ago, I tried to write an
> editor is Scheme. The experience was appalling. I was able to write a
> fully functional prototype editor in less than a week in Python.

I remember thinking about writing an editor in Python.  One of the
editor functions I couldn't figure out how to implement was
search-backward-regexp.  Although the underlying regexp package in
Python's standard library is capable of searching backwards, the
Python lib does not export that feature to where Python code can use
it.  RFE #516762 about this has been open for almost 5 years.