merits of Lisp vs Python

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 01:24:57 EST 2006

JShrager at gmail.com wrote:
> Come on; you guys can't just leave this at 999 posts!

Funny you should whine, i was just getting ready to sign off with:

I noticed while singing the praises of auto-indentation that there was a
shortcoming in The Greatest Feature Known to Editing source code, which
is the ability to copy an arbitrary block of code (say, a case statement
in the else branch of an if statement in a loop) with a single
control-click of the mouse, viz, that I still had to reindent if it was
a multiline statement. The first line of course landed exactly where I
clicked so that was fine, but other lines in the block were retaining
the indentation extant at the time of the click.

A few glasses of...<cough> a few hours ago I dashed off an RFE to Franz
tech support apologizing for a trivial matter but wondering if it might
not be just a line or two, and lawdy-it-must-be-xmas a glass later back
came a patch I am just wallowing in.

interestingly, the techie happens not to have been a user of
control-click, probably a hardcore keyboard guy who never touches the
mouse. I started programming GUIs on a Mac 512, didn't /have/ a keyboard.***

And now the punch line: spare me the "oh gosh reindentation is so easy"
dodge. So is a manual control-shift-p to auto-reindent after an ungainly
paste, but this is definitely one of those deals where we don't notice
until we stop hitting ourselves with that hammer.

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

    BLISS programs Just Work.
    Never revisited, they
    Never get refined.
        - Warnock's Explanation of Large Programs