merits of Lisp vs Python

Robert Brown bbrown at speakeasy.net
Mon Dec 11 22:48:12 EST 2006

"Stephen Eilert" <spedrosa at gmail.com> writes:
> So, let's suppose I now want to learn LISP (I did try, on several
> occasions). What I would like to do would be to replace Python and code
> GUI applications. Yes, those boring business-like applications that have
> to access databases and consume those new-fangled web-services and
> whatnot. Heck, maybe even code games using DirectX.
>
> So, how would I do that?

First, get a copy of Practical Common Lisp, which shows how to build, well,
practical programs in Lisp:

    http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Next, download a Common Lisp implementation.  I happen to prefer SBCL, but
any of the free commercial trial products will do, as will CLISP, CMUCL,
ABCL, Open MCL, etc.

To find libraries, look in Cliki, in the Common Lisp Directory, and in
Common-Lisp.net.  The Directory is especially good for finding obscure
stuff.

    http://www.cliki.net/
    http://www.cl-user.net/
    http://common-lisp.net/

Bookmark the Hyperspec, which is an HTML version of the ANSI Common Lisp
standard.  Skim the whole thing once, so you have a vague idea of what
functions are available in the standard library.

    http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front/index.htm

Finally, ask questions on the #lisp IRC channel or in comp.lang.lisp when
you are stuck.