Superclass for Errors?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Dec 27 19:31:34 EST 2006

At Wednesday 27/12/2006 17:13, tac-tics wrote:

>For exceptions, I can simply use a catch-all except statement like:
>
>try:
>except Exception, error:
>     JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(self, "Error: %s" % error)
>
>Normally, I could simply use a regular
>
>except:
>
>but then I don't have access to the error message.

Other people already said that all builtin exceptions are derived
from Exception. So using except Exception: xxx, you catch all of
them. What's left:
- string exceptions: deprecated long time ago, but you might
encounter them in old code.
- other classes not derived from Exception: still legal, probablly
not on future Python versions.
If you really have to catch any kind of exception, use a bare except
clause; you always can retrieve the exception details using
sys.exc_info()

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL