merits of Lisp vs Python

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Thu Dec 14 11:22:57 EST 2006

Ken Tilton <kentilton at gmail.com> writes:

> meanwhile, I have not seen how Python lets you avoid revisiting dozens
> of instances when changes to a mechanism are required.

I think his solution would have been to use:

  def foo(**args):

everywhere, and call it like this

  foo(bar=baz)

Of course that makes calls pretty verbose, but it would prevent having
to visit every function/method every time the signature changes.  As
long they'd all been set up initially to use keyword args like that.
And of course one would lose some of the compile-time benefits of
compiler signature checking.

It's not optimal, but I think it'd get the job done.

So how *do* you determine the gender of bread?  Ah, no doubt L'Academie
has vast teams of staff who wander through France assigning gender to
inanimate objects, in such a way as to cause maximum confusion among
students of French...                       --Tanuki the Raccoon-dog