Easiest way to print from XP/DOS.

jim-on-linux inq1ltd at verizon.net
Fri Dec 29 17:33:17 EST 2006

This is the situation I'm in.

I've built a single file utility using py2exe. I
zip the dist directory and send it to the client.

For clients that use  win95, win98 machines,
They unpack the zip file and run the exe.

The utility creates a text file that is sent to
the printer with the statement below.
   os.system('type ' +FileName+ ' >prn'),
and the file prints.

But, from an xp machine if I try to print using
the same statement,  I get a question on the dos
screen which reads something like this;
  Which program authorized this operation?

Since I don't have an xp machine, the statement
above may not be exact, but you get the idea.

The question I have is, first is there any way to
work around the question asked by the xp machine
using python.

If not, I may have to register the package in xp,
if registering the utility the only way, which
package is the simplest to use.
Also, if the utility is registered in xp, will the
same statement send the file to the printer as it
does in win98.

jim-on-linux