About the 79 character line recommendation

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Tue Dec 5 17:38:29 EST 2006

In <1165341320.094491.55480 at n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, Steve Bergman
wrote:

> While I'm on this general topic, the guide mentions a pet peeve about
> inserting more than one space to line up the "=" in assignment
> statements.  To me, lining them up, even if it requires quite a few
> extra spaces, helps readability quite a bit.  Comments?

That may help readability a little bit but if one of the lines will be
changed the other lines have to be changed too which results in a diff
that masks the "real" change a bit.  If just one line changes it's easier
to read and follow diffs from version control systems.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch