merits of Lisp vs Python

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Mon Dec 11 11:03:55 EST 2006

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch schrieb:

> In <1165849055.492230.119310 at n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, Kay Schluehr
> wrote:
>
> > Once an easy to use metaprogramming system could be done for Python it
> > could be ported with some adaptions to other languages with more
> > "complicated syntax" ( non LL(1) parsable ).
>
> FYI: Here's how Nemerle does macros: http://nemerle.org/Macros
>
> I guess you can't really transform Nemerle into a completely different
> language, but it is at least interesting to see such a feature in language
> with a more complex syntax than Lisp.
>
> Ciao,
> 	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Hi Mark, there are quite a lot of meta programming systems ( MPS ) for
non Lispy languages (  O'Caml, Haskell, Java of course and also Dylan
as a member of the "Lisp family" with non homogenous syntax ). I hope I
will find time in the new year to review and compare them to the
grammar based approach I described in the grandparent post and follow
myself with "EasyExtend" for Python - which is *radical* and somewhat
in between a language specific MPS and Lex/Yacc. The idea to separate
the MPS from the host language but providing a multi-language framework
is somewhat complementary to that of PyPy that is a framework that
supports several backends for one language.