merits of Lisp vs Python

Kaz Kylheku kkylheku at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 02:12:47 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Oh my god! Lisp can echo STRINGS to the interpreter?

Indeed yes, but that's not exactly what's happening here. (And it's not
necessarily an interpreter, by the way. Some Lisp implementations
compile every expression to machine code and branch to it. Corman Lisp,
for instance, doesn't even contain an interpreter).

My point is not to showcase anything about Lisp, but simply to point
out the irony that in the same paragraph in which you are going on
about Lisp being unreadable compared to human written languages, there
appear pieces of parseable Lisp syntax.

> Why didn't somebody somebody tell me that!

The answer to that would be: because your being properly informed for
these kinds of debates is your responsibility, and it is assumed.

> !!! That *completely* changes my mind about the language!

If you keep up the mind changing, you can maybe trade up to one that
works in perhaps fewer than twenty transactions. (Think: Kyle
MacDonald).