Wow, Python much faster than MatLab

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Sat Dec 30 05:52:42 EST 2006

>> MatLab: 14 msec
>> Python:  2 msec
>
> For times this small, I wonder if timing comparisons are valid. I do
> NOT think SciPy is in general an order of magnitude faster than Matlab
> for the task typically performed with Matlab.
The algorithm is meant for real-time analysis,
where these kind of differences counts a lot.
I'm also a typical "surface programmer"
(don't need/want to know what's going inside),
just want to get my analysis done,
and the fact that Python has much more functions available,
means I've to write far less explicit or implicit for loops,
and thus I expect it to "look" faster for me always.

>> After taking the first difficult steps into Python,
>> all kind of small problems as you already know,
>> it nows seems a piece of cake to convert from MatLab to Python.
>> (the final programs of MatLab and Python can almost only be
>> distinguished by the comment character ;-)
>>
>> Especially I like:
>> - more relaxed behavior of exceeded the upper limit of a (1-dimensional)
>>   array
>
> Could you explain what this means? In general, I don't want a
> programming language to be "relaxed" about exceeding array bounds.

Well, I've to admit, that wasn't a very tactic remark, "noise" is still
an unwanted issue in software.
But in the meanwhile I've reading further and I should replace that by
some other great things:
- the very efficient way, comment is turned into help information
- the (at first sight) very easy, but yet quit powerfull OOPs implemetation.

cheers,
Stef Mientki