Why not just show the out-of-range index?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 21:39:09 EST 2006

Russ wrote:
>> Rather, they (like I) will encourage to OP to submit a patch that fixes the problem.
>
> Now, that would be rather silly. I would have to familiarize myself
> with the code for the Python interpreter, then send a patch to the
> maintainers (and hope they notice it in their inboxes), while the
> maintainers themselves could probably "fix" the problem in two minutes
> flat. No thanks!

And I believe that answers your original question.

PS: begging for a fix on comp.lang.python is even less likely to get the
developer's attention than posting a patch. They listen to patch submissions
much more than comp.lang.python. At the very least, you should submit a bug
report even if you don't want to take the opportunity to learn how to fix it
yourself.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."