some OT: how to solve this kind of problem in our program?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Dec 26 15:39:31 EST 2006

At Monday 25/12/2006 21:24, Paul McGuire wrote:

>For example, for all the complexity in writing Sudoku solvers, there are
>fewer than 3.3 million possible permutations of 9 rows of the digits 1-9,
>and far fewer permutations that match the additional column and box
>constraints.  Why not just compute the set of valid solutions, and compare
>an input mask with these?

Are you sure? There are 9!=362880 rows of digits 1-9; taking 9 of
these at random gives about 10**50 possibilities. Of course just a
few match the additional constraints. Maybe you can trivially reduce
them (just looking for no dupes on the first column) but anyway its a
laaaaarge number... (Or I'm wrong computing the possibilities...)

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.